Smart Poultry Farms
Improve production by introducing Automation and IoT in your poultry farm.
5 Important factors to Consider in Poultry Farming:
- The Individual body weights,
- Feed and water consumption of chickens.
- Detection and prevention of the spread of disease among the brood.
- Monitoring health, stress levels and comfort of birds.
- Increase yield
We can agree that any poultry farm will suffer loss if they fail to focus on all above mentioned points.
Automation in Poultry Farming
Management of a poultry farm capable of mass-production requires a tested system and trained staff. Both involve a considerable investment. Among these two assets, use of an improved system would be much more economical and guarantees quality of the produce and efficiency in management.
All top poultry farms in India and world have adopted maximum automation in their system and produced successful results.
Experts on the subject have discussed the many possibilities of applying Internet of Things (IOT) to poultry farming. And why wouldn’t they, it’s the next step in the field.
For example, the temperature needed in the poultry farm is in between 24°C to 32°C. If it falls below 24°C, the heater has to be turned on and if it rises above 32°C, the fan cooling is to be switched on.
How about installing a system which would detect the change in temperature and automatically switch on the heater or the fans? Now imagine a network made of these systems which could monitor humidity, ammonia, light intensity and control your feeders, water, ventilation windows, etc. all by itself. It is really an option you can take to improve your production and save a lot of manual labor and time.
Methods of Automation in Poultry Farming:
Here I’ve discussed some of the real and practical applications just look at it and give it a thought.
I. Machines for Poultry Farming
“Robots and chickens”, its hard to picture them together isn’t it. However, it is one of the most practical applications of modern technology in the poultry industry.
- Robots can perform regular tasks like cleaning and sanitizing, collecting eggs which are simple and repetitive. These tasks are also boring and laborious to human standards.
- Compared to humans, robots are precise and honest about their tasks. And much faster.
II. Sensors used in Poultry Farming
- Most of the modern mass-producing poultry farms are equipped with all sorts of sensors which to regulate and control the climate in the house, including ventilation and temperature.
- Sensors also measure ammonia, lighting which are all important factors to consider to ensure comfort of the hens.
- These sensors also monitor feeding stations and amount of feed can be controlled to achieve uniformity in the weight of hens.
Sensors are the most efficient and smart way to improve quality and health of the produce and also to keep track of the changes that occur in the farm.
III. How to use RFID Tags in Poultry Farming?
- Fitting select hens with electronic tags helps producer in observing the hens more effectively.
- The tags can help to track natural behaviors to inefficiencies in diet of the entire hen population by observing few of them.
- This can give producer a clear idea of measures to be taken to change or correct any error in feeding or if the temperature or other factors are alright or not. It would obviously help in increasing production efficiency.
IV. AI in Poultry Faarming (Artificial Intelligence)
AI to monitor and control the environment of the poultry houses. These features of AI need to be taken note of-
- The information collected by sensors like increase in temperature and such can be analyzed and the farmer is notified. If he doesn’t respond then the AI system will accordingly act by adjusting temperature automatically.
- This will avoid any unnecessary mishaps resulting out of short negligence from ever happening.
- AI can also be used to analyze data and figure solution like increase feed or supplements and such without putting much load on the farmer.
- Recent developments have resulted in developing an AI which can grade eggs by detecting defects like internal blood spots, cracks and breakages of eggshell. With an accuracy of 95.4%.
Important Features (At a Glance Summary)
- It helps to cope up with the increasing demand by INCREASING PRODUCTION and IMPROVING QUALITY.
- The system requires one-time investment with enormous returns by SAVING TIME and ASSETS and also provides PRODUCTIVE MANAGEMENT.
- It provides more SECURITY to your farm by considerably REDUCING THE MANPOWER and keeping an eye on the farm.
- It gives farmer single-handed CONTROL over the entire setup by any device like a MOBILE, tab, laptop or a computer.